With recent WhatsApp outages, many are flocking to Telegram. But Telegram isn't as secure as WhatsApp. Here are 7 tips to enhance your privacy on Telegram:
Now your chats can be more secure! But don't get too risky with those secret chats, if you know what I mean! 😉
The Nitty Gritty Details
Recent WhatsApp outages have caused a mass exodus to Telegram. But unlike WhatsApp, Telegram chats are not end-to-end encrypted by default. Here are 7 tips to enhance your privacy on Telegram:
1. Use Secret Chats
Secret chats are end-to-end encrypted. To start one:
- Open Telegram
- Tap the pencil icon
- Choose "New Secret Chat"
- Select a contact
Now you can chat privately!
2. Lock the App
Locking Telegram prevents snooping eyes from accessing your chats if your phone is lost or stolen.
To lock the app:
- Open Settings > Privacy and Security > Passcode Lock
- Toggle on "Enable Passcode"
- Enter and confirm a 4-digit PIN
You can also unlock it with biometrics like a fingerprint.
3. Enable Two-Step Verification
Adding another layer of security never hurts!
To enable two-step verification:
- Go to Settings > Privacy and Security > Two-Step Verification
- Select "Create Password"
- Enter a password and recovery email address
- Input the confirmation code sent to your email
4. Close Inactive Sessions
Don't let strangers access your account on devices you don't own.
To close inactive sessions:
- Go to Settings > Privacy and Security > Active Sessions
- Select any unknown sessions and hit "Terminate"
5. Limit Groups
Tired of getting added to random groups? Restrict who can add you:
- Go to Settings > Privacy and Security > Groups & Channels
- Choose "My Contacts" or "Nobody"
6. Use a Proxy
A proxy hides your IP address for anonymous chatting.
To use a proxy:
- Go to Settings > Data and Storage > Proxy Settings
- Toggle on Proxy and configure the settings
7. Auto-Delete Account
If you lose access to your account, you can have it auto-deleted:
- Go to Settings > Privacy and Security > Delete My Account > If I'm Away From Telegram
- Select when you want it deleted (1/3/6 months or 1 year)
Q: Is Telegram really more private than WhatsApp?
A: Not by default, since Telegram chats are not end-to-end encrypted. But using secret chats and the other privacy tips here makes Telegram much more secure.
Q: Do I have to use secret chats for everything?
A: No, feel free to use normal chats for non-sensitive stuff. But secret chats should be used if you want full privacy.
Q: What happens if I lose my phone?
A: As long as you have a passcode lock enabled, your chats will remain secure if your phone is lost or stolen. Make sure to close inactive sessions from any unknown devices.
Q: Should I delete my account if I'm not using Telegram anymore?
A: Yes, scheduling an auto-delete is a smart idea if you're not using Telegram for a while. This will erase your account and messages after the selected time period.
Telegram offers more privacy options than other messengers if used correctly. With secret chats, passcode lock, two-step verification, closed sessions, proxies, and auto-delete, you can chat with confidence that your conversations are truly private. Just don't get too risque on those secret chats!