Fewer exams and with more analytical tests as the Ministry of Education called “of maturity”. This will be the future Selectivity, now called EVAU or EBAU (depending on the autonomous communities), according to the proposal that Education has transferred to regional councilors and rectors, and which includes significant changes regarding current university entrance exams.
The intention is to move towards an EBAU model (acronym for Baccalaureate Assessment for University Access) which values more analytical skills and less disciplinary content examinations, as has been the case until now.
Changes that will be implemented gradually in two phases, one transitional and the other permanent, which we detail below.
The ministry offers a total of four exercises, which they will each be worth 25%.
Three of them will relate to subjects, one compulsory specific according to the subject chosen by the student and two others on common subjects, History of Philosophy and History of Spain.
The fourth exercise, of a general nature, is what they called “de maturity“, as stated in the project. In the exercise of maturity, which can be of topical, scientific or humanistfor example, students will be asked “to carry out an analysis from different aspects and perspectives, answering different types of questions”.
It is therefore a question of evaluating the ability of students to analyze, evaluate, extract information or relate all this documentation. To do this, they will be provided with a folder with documents, which can be texts, images, infographics, etc.
This structure would be applied in the courses 2023-2024, 2024-2025 and 2025-2026.
From 2026-2027 the maturity exercise takes more weight and will be worth 75%. Only one specific thematic exercise will be maintained, which will be worth the remaining 25%.
This is the proposal that the Ministry of Education has transferred to the Autonomous Communities and Rectors, with which it intends, as specified, to achieve the objective of the Education Law approved by the coalition government, the LOMLOE, to implement a skill-based learning and mobilizes “knowledge forto solve a need“.
In addition, and in order to resolve inequalities between communities, the test will focus on measuring the same, both in its design and in its evaluation, in order to make it “comparable on any territory of the State”. That yes, the ministry protects itself against possible complaints for interference in the autonomous competences and ensures that “in no case does it envisage developing a unified test”.