WiFi calls allow you to take advantage of the connection to an access point to talk to any phone number. No extras in the rate, with greater stability and no matter that there is no mobile coverage. Of course, you need a compatible mobile and operator.
They are not a very popular feature since it is not excessively widespread either, but there are possibilities to test WiFi calls on a good number of smartphones. said calls are established through home wireless networks, as its own name dictates. They work without mobile network coverage, they offer very good audio quality and most of the major Spanish operators offer them free of charge to their customers. They are very simple to use if the mobile is compatible.
Call even if you don’t have mobile coverage
As with communications through messaging apps, WiFi calls (o VoWiFI, voice over WiFi) use local wireless networks to establish contact between devices and transmit the voice of the interlocutors converted into digital data to both ends. The biggest difference from ‘normal’ calls is that with WiFi calls the operator’s towers are not usedsince the user’s wireless network is served.
WiFi calls offer various advantages over traditional calls thanks to the characteristics of the infrastructure:
- No mobile coverage required. That you are far from an area covered by your operator and still want to make calls? If you have WiFi calls active, and you have a connection to a local network, you can call any number just as if you were using the operator’s coverage.
- Communication is stable and with quality. Within the home there is usually better WiFi coverage than the mobile network (as long as the distance to the router is not excessive). Thanks to this, calling over WiFi often offers fewer outages than calling over mobile.
- You can call any phone number using the WiFi. Since only the infrastructure changes (from carrier towers to WiFi hotspot), it is still possible to call anyone just by dialing their phone number. Also, it is not required that the called contact is also using WiFi calling.
- They can save some battery. As the mobile is not constantly connecting to cell towers, the smartphone requires less energy to process communications, at least on paper.
- There are no extra costs, nor do you have to change the application. Operators do not overcharge for WiFi calls, although you may not have them included in your rate (generally in all contract calls). In addition, the process is carried out transparently since it is the phone application that is in charge of the task (the icon of a phone appears with WiFi waves).
Although the WiFi network is used, all calls that use this network cost the same as ‘normal’ calls. At the pricing level there are no differences
The basic difference at the level of operation is that the phone changes the sending and receiving of data (voice only) from the telephone network to the WiFi network: The rest of the process is identical for both types of calls. There are hardly any changes in the phone interface either.
This is how WiFi calls are activated on the mobile
Generally, phones that support WiFi calling offer the possibility of activating them when a SIM that supports them is inserted. In Spain, Movistar, Orange, Jazztel and O2 offer this type of communications. In terms of mobile phones, Samsung is the manufacturer that offers the best compatibility: its higher priced phones, and a good part of the Galaxy A family, include WiFI calls among their options. Also the iPhone from the 5S; in addition to other brands, such as Huawei, LG and even Alcatel. And it’s not just about the phone, support for WiFi calls also depends on the operator (Orange is the one that supports more devices).
To activate WiFi calls, and provided that your mobile and operator are compatible (the SIM must be in the phone), you must do the following:
- Go to the mobile settings and enter the connection options.
- You will see the ‘WiFi Calls’ option appear. Activate them and from that moment all voice communications will be through the home network (as long as you have a WiFi connection).
- Another way to activate calls is through the phone application. Open it.
- Enter the three menu points and go to the settings.
- The available ‘WiFi Calling’ option should appear.
- If the activation does not appear, your mobile is not compatible with WiFi calls. It could also be that the operator does not offer you that service (or does not support your phone).
- You do not have to activate WiFi calls in your operatorthey should be active by default: it only performs the process on the mobile.
The fact that your mobile does not have WiFi calls does not mean that you will not have them forever: operators are constantly adding new compatible mobiles.
Experience is similar to ‘normal’ calls
We have been testing WiFi calls on a Samsung with the Movistar operator and the truth is that the experience was satisfactory: after the activation process the phone has exchanged the mobile infrastructure for the WiFi network without losing audio quality and gaining remarkable stability in telecommunications (at the test address there are usually cuts in communication due to lack of coverage). The phone icon with WiFi waves is the only noticeable difference to the naked eye.